February 29, 2012

DIY No Sew Ruffled Burlap Bedskirt {home decor}


When will finally completed the footboard to match our headboard we created a new need:  a 22" bedskirt.  When I started looking online to find an extra long bedskirt, the choices were extremely limited and expensive.  So of course I started to research DIY solutions.  I found a great burlap bedskirt that I loved on Etsy, but they wanted well around $115 for it and I really only needed a bedskirt for two sides rather than three.

Of course I can't sew!  Totally embarrassing to admit because I believe all women in my extended family can, including my aunt Martha who is AMAZING and publishes a magazine on sewing called Sew Beautiful.  Luckily I am signed up for my first sewing class THIS weekend... I can't wait!

Back to the bedskirt.... since sewing was not an option, I searched for "no sew" options and eventually came across a blog that gave me the idea I ended up using.  Unfortunately I cannot locate the blog to include a link, but if I find it I will add it.  Basically it included using a staple gun to attach burlap to a 1x2.... THAT I can do!

So I went to JoAnn's Fabric and bought about 3 yards of burlap and then went to Home Depot and bought a 1x2s.  The hubby cut the 1x2's to the approximate length of the bed (~78").


I started by cutting the burlap in half.

Then I folded about 1 inch of the short cut sides of the burlap and ironed it to get a clean straight edge.


To make the "ruffled" effect I folded the fabric about half an inch and stapled it using a staple gun.

Above 2" down I added another fold in the other direction and stapled it down.

Once complete I just pushed the 1x2 in between the box spring and the mattress.

Side view (before we put the footboard on).


Final product with the footboard.
The project ended up being REALLY simple and probably took longer to find the idea on the internet and get the supplies than the actual execution.  In the end it cost less than $50 to complete!

Let me know what you think about it!

No comments:

Post a Comment