February 29, 2012

Lydia Daybed (similar to PB Priscilla Daybed) {wedding}

For the wedding, I knew I wanted a "lounge" area but with the limited rental furniture market in Denver that was going to be a hard thing to do in my budget and match my style.  So I volunteered my soon-bo-hubby to build a bed, haha!

I found plans online for the Lydia Daybed on www.Ana-White.com (one of my new favorites... I will share more posts in the future of other items we have built from the site).  Paul reviewed the plans and we made a shopping list and headed to Home Depot.  Paul made a few adjustments to the plans to make sure he had the tools to build it and feel comfortable it would work, but overall it ended up coming out great and very similar to the Lydia Daybed and Pottery Barn's Priscilla Daybed.

Lesson Learned from this project: Make sure you build it so you are able to take it apart.  We can't get this bed up the stairs at our new house so it is just taking up space in the garage until we figure out how to fix it.  I love it so much that I don't want to sell it!



We used shelving corbels as the curved pieces rather than trying to custom cut them.

We ended up using curtain rod finials for the corners since we couldn't find any other options small enough or cheap enough. 

I painted it with leftover paint I had our the house and it matched my color theme for the wedding.


We added a couple of pillows from around the house and I bought a cheap white single sheet (not shown) to cover the mattress from IKEA.

Photo of the "lounge" area at the wedding with the daybed.
Photo courtesy of Anita Roach Studios.

2 comments:

  1. I am getting ready to build this same bed and I'm wondering if you used a Kreg Jig at any point. I know it's recommended in the original directions but I've read and re-read them and I can't figure out where she uses it other than attaching the scalloped side pieces to the side rails. Also, when you attached the side rails to the end panels, did you use the Kreg there? Or you just drilled right into the legs?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We had the same concern in regards to the directions on how make the corner connections on the bed. We did not use a Kreg Jig and simply permanently attached the rails directly to the corner posts via a mix of screws and biscuit joints. This idea worked well until we moved and, due to the fact we could not take the bed apart, we could not get it up the stairwell in our new home. A Kreg Jig attachment would be the best way to make the connection and we have learned our lesson that we will never build another bed unless we can dismantle it for moving.

      Delete